May 27, 2012

What happened in Vegas

Venus Raj
Bb. Pilipinas - Universe 2010
Venus Raj
Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be, because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do. — Unknown

A common adage says that we only live once so we should make every moment in our life meaningful. I consider myself very lucky because I was given the chance to represent my country in one of the most prestigious beauty pageants in the world. An acquaintance once told me that I should be very thankful because many girls are wishing to be in my shoes. My Miss Universe experience is surely the most wonderful journey I have ever taken. I’d like to share some of my most unforgettable moments during the Miss Universe pageant in Las Vegas.

Miss Nancy was my supervisor during the competition. She was like a mother to me because she took good care of me. She attended to all my needs and she never left me when I needed her. I really appreciated how she would do even the smallest favors for me. Before flying back tq the Philippineu, she gave meua letter saying that she will never forget me. My experience in Vegas would be incomplete without Nancy. I miss her a lot and I want to see her again in the future.

Because of my jetlag, I would get hungry at midnight or early morning. It was a good thing that the Miss Universe Organization provided us with a Hospitality Room. I and the other contestants would often go there to grab some snack items and bring them to our room. We enjoyed eating sweet foods from the Hospitality Room. I was really happy because there was no limit to the amount of food one contestant could get from the room.

Our schedule would always start very early in the morning. We had to wake up as early as 6 a.m. to prepare for our activities. It is a must that by 7 a.m. we were already having breakfast with our hair and make-up already well-done. Punctuality was one characteristic that the organization wanted to instill in the candidates. They were very strict with our call time.

Some of our activities were really tiring but I enjoyed every experience I had with the other girls. We still found a way to smile and laugh even though our schedule was very tight.

I was very lucky because I had the best roommate in the world, Miss Malaysia (Nadine Ann Thomas). During our first encounter, I thought she was snobbish and bratty. I felt we had opposite personalities. But when I got to know her deeper, I discovered that she was a very friendly and nice woman. We were brought up almost in the same way by our parents. I admired how she gave importance to her family. She was also like a sister to me. Sometimes when we noticed some actions of other candidates, we would just look at each other and we would understand what the other was thinking. It was hard to say goodbye but I am looking forward to seeing her again. I hope she can visit the Philippines or I can go to Malaysia to see her.

I am not a great dancer but I love to dance. During rehearsals, I was really focused on learning all the dance steps. I was amazed at how our production number was crafted. We were able to come up with a beautiful dance number with the help of our choreographers.

It was also during rehearsals where I noticed that there were a lot of girls who have really good catwalk skills. Nobody wanted to be left behind in terms of projection and stage presence. Each had a unique way of carrying herself on stage. It did not scare me but instead served as a motivation for me to perform better.

The closed-door interview was our chance to prove ourselves in front of the judges. At first, I was really nervous because it was the make-or-break opportunity for all of us. The Top 15 would be chosen based on the performance in the closed-door interview.

I did not expect that my closed-door interview would turn out to be very casual. They asked me about my childhood and my experience living in the house made of “nipa” without any supply of electricity. I told them that I had a very simple life in our province and that it was hard growing up without electricity and a steady water supply but still I was happy as a child. Without reservations, I told them my story and I felt very comfortable talking to them because they seemed friendly. After the interview, I felt that I was able to show the judges my true personality and I answered their questions in all honesty.

I am truly blessed to be able to meet a lot of girls from different parts of the world. It was a once-in-a-lifetime experience and I know that I will not be able to do it again even if I really wanted to. It still seemed surreal but I realized that all my dreams were slowly taking shape. Who would have thought that a simple girl from Bato, Camarines Sur, would step on the stage of Mandalay Bay Hotel and represent the Philippines in a well-known beauty pageant? Even I did not have the slightest idea but dreams do come true. We just have to work hard to turn all our dreams into reality. We can all have our own happy endings if we put our hearts into what we want to do.

I guess what happened in Vegas will not stay in Vegas because I will bring all of my memories wherever life will take me. The Miss Universe competition was like a fairy tale for me and I was the queen of that story. I learned that we should not be afraid to stand up for our dreams because we make our destiny. Determination and perseverance will take us to the road that we want to take. Indeed, life is what we make it.

Featured Article: What happened in Vegas originally appeared on The Philippine Star on Oct 03 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A misty-eyed look at Armi Kuusela, the 1st Miss Universe

Armi Kuusela with Virgilio Hilario Fifty-four years ago today, a beautiful 17-year-old girl from Finland was crowned (by Hollywood act...