Oct 6, 2014

Quotes from the Beauty Queens








Sushmita Sen, Miss Universe 1994

What is the essence of being a woman? Sushmita's famous answer: "Just being a woman is God's gift. The origin of a child is a mother, a woman. She shows a man what sharing, caring, and loving is all about. That is the essence of a woman."









Shandi Finnessey, Miss USA 2004

How would you describe the image of Miss USA today, and how does that role remain important? "Miss USA is a woman of the new millennium — pretty, sexy, intelligent, opinionated, and feels strong about expressing her opinion. She appears in public in jeans, a cute sexy top, and a pair of heels, because that’s what the modern woman can relate to. A titleholder is still relevant, because when you look at the role models we have — a Britney Spears and an Eminem — society needs a stronger role model for kids to look up to. When you see kids in elementary school who think it’s cool to have thongs hanging out of their pants because Britney does, you realize you have a huge problem with the people our kids are looking up to. You need a role model who is beautiful, is trendy, and yet is still intelligent and has good moral values."









Priscilla Meirelles, Miss Earth 2004

What’s the best thing about winning Miss Earth? And what’s the worst? "I would say that so far, the best thing about winning Miss Earth is that you can contribute to the cause that the pageant promotes—that is, the environment. Then, of course, there’s the quantity and quality of knowledge that you gain and are able to accumulate through your travels as Miss Earth. You get exposed to new situations, people and places, and what they contribute to your world is infinitely larger than yours. The worst, I would say, is to be a title holder for just a year."









Priscila Perales, Miss International 2007

"I love beauty pageants. I love the idea of representing my country at an international level and being able to meet women from around the world who have the same type of goals. Every chance of participating in one of these international beauty pageants is a once in a lifetime opportunity. "









Justine Pasek, Miss Universe 2002

"Something happened... when we were down to the five semi-finalists of the Miss Universe pageant, we were standing together on stage and right before they started calling out the positions, one of the girls said, “Best of luck to all of you.” But it’s not about luck, it’s about one girl’s destiny... this time, it ended up being about two girls’ destinies. I was really happy with the whole experience. It was fulfilling in many ways and I enjoyed it—to my own surprise"









Denise Quinones, Miss Universe 2001

"I always have faith in my talent and for that reason I work day to day to follow my professional growth. I know that I have all the tools to be successful. No matter how long or short time may be, it does not matter to me. "









Chelsea Cooley, Miss USA 2005

“I had critics call me, ‘Miss Piggy USA’ and ‘The Worst Miss USA ever’ just because I wasn’t a size 2, I laugh at the situation now because I learned a big lesson. I will never look to others to find my happiness. You don’t have to want to be Miss USA or even be interested in pageants for that matter. You just have to have a will to better yourself and make things happen for you.”









Jennifer Hawkins, Miss Universe 2004

"My life since Miss Universe has been changed a lot. have grown so much as a result of my travels and all my work with HIV/AIDS programs. I'm incredibly grateful for the things I've experienced.I hate the whole tall-poppy syndrome. I don't want people to think it's all gone to my head, because it isn't. That's why I'm a little bit stressed, because in the back of my head I'm like, 'When, when, when?"









Aishwarya Rai, Miss World 1994

In terms of being a woman in India, what is your opinion on the treatment of women in business and otherwise? "Society has been defined a certain way from time immemorial for all of us. We all know the kind of eases and the trials that we could all be faced with — in any strata, in any profession. So, I think rather than feeling persecuted that you’re meeting up with a challenge simply because of the gender you belong to, I think it’s important to face the challenge for what it is and have your convictions together."









Oxana Fedorova, Miss Universe 2002 (Dethroned)

"Whoever saw me before can say I did not put on seven kg. And of course, I am not pregnant, I dream of becoming a mother, and maybe I will — it would be wonderful, but not now.''









Brook Mahealani Lee, Miss Universe 1997

When asked about how she would handle weight gain: "I would take a good heart look at myself, and I'd look from the inside out, and I would know that I'm the same girl that won the crown that day and it wouldn’t really matter what I look like on the outside because I won."









Alexandra Braun, Miss Earth 2005

"There was two best moments in Philippines, one was the moment during the night pageant the host announced me- Miss Venezuela as the new Miss Earth 2005 and the day when Miss Serbia/Montenegro, Miss Poland, and Miss Dominican Republic and I hug each other and started to cry because of the wonderful relationship we created. They are very special and close friends of mine. That day I told the girls that we are like sisters. "









Miriam Quiambao, 1st Runner Up Miss Universe 1999

When asked what she has stood up for lately: "When I fell on the stage ...I believe I stood up for the rest of the women who have fallen whether on or off the stage. I believe that through this example of mine I have shown courage & strength of being a woman, of being who I am, and I hope to be a good example to the rest of the women in the world "









Agbani Darego, Miss World 2001

"I'm not going to be a model for the rest of my life, I want to be a successful businesswoman. I want to be good at everything."









Gloria Diaz, Miss Universe 1969

BOB: “I’ll tell you what, Gloria. Our interview is planned. Here you are on television with this live audience. Let’s see, can you name your nine brothers and two sisters --- or nine sisters and two brothers? GLORIA: “Oh yes! (smiling) Alphabetically or according to rank?”









Margarita Moran, Miss Universe 1973

If you had one million dollars what would you do with it? "I would buy a big house where I can live with all the people I love".









Dayanara Torres, Miss Universe 1973

Dayanara on her second home: "Everything in the Philippines was just wonderful. In the beginning, I thought I was going to stay for only six months, but I stayed for five years! Filipinos have made things easy for me and I’m forever thankful for that. The Philippines has opened so many doors for me. I had TV shows, movies and commercials. I had a great time!"









Precious Lara Quigaman, Miss International 2005

"I remember when I was little, I watched the Miss Universe Pageant on TV and for several days afterwards, I imitated how Miss Universe walked and even how she cried when the crown was placed on her head."









Riyo Mori, Miss Universe 2007

" I have never felt any pressure being Miss Universe. I behave quite naturally. I like to be the way I am. If people behave as if wearing a certain shield, nobody can open his or her heart to them. On the other hand, if people are relaxed, they can easily make friends and communicate openly. I always try to keep in mind that many people look at what I do and how I do it. Being a role model is not bad at all, actually."









Ruffa Guttierez, 2nd Runner Up Miss World 1993

What would you tell a girl suffering from low self-esteem to feel good about herself? "I would tell her to believe in herself because it is not only physical beauty that is important but also inner beauty. Just like what the Little Prince said, 'the essential things are invisible to the naked eye.' Definitely, character and personality are more important than physical beauty."









Zhuo Ling, 2nd Runner Up Miss Universe 2002

When asked about what's the most common misconception about her country: "Most people think that Chinese people are traditional and quiet, but look at me."

5 comments:

  1. I really ♥ Denise Quinones. She's my fav Miss Universe

    ReplyDelete
  2. daisymaynonato8:10 PM PDT

    i love this! lots of things to learn here...

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice collections! beauty at their best, inside and out! inspirational quotes

    ReplyDelete
  4. beauty is not in just in outside from inside you can see that true beauty shines in inside from outside :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous4:02 PM PST

    Sushmita Sen answer is apt for today i.e. International women day.

    ReplyDelete

A misty-eyed look at Armi Kuusela, the 1st Miss Universe

Armi Kuusela with Virgilio Hilario Fifty-four years ago today, a beautiful 17-year-old girl from Finland was crowned (by Hollywood act...